Monday, August 1, 2011

Let's eat cake!

I've been going to Bud's Cafe almost daily since moving into the apartment. I basically always sit in the corner seat next to the window on the 3rd floor and order a latte. The workers are the same everyday and about two days ago I learned that the one that was impressed with my Vietnamese skills the other day is Lam.

Well, today is Lam's birthday! Typically, individual birthdays are not celebrated here... everyone's birthdays are all celebrated during the Tet holiday. I think that some Western traditions are carrying over though because I've seen 2 different birthday celebrations here so far.

There was a cake, they played a birthday song in English, and all clapped for Lam as he blew out the candles on the cake. 10 minutes or so later, I looked up from my Kindle to see Lam standing next to my table with a piece of cake for me! So sweet. I thanked him (cam on) and wished him a happy birthday (in English).  :P

The cake was delicious... and about 1/2-way through, I looked around the cafe and realized that, besides the table of workers celebrating with Lam, I was the only person with a piece of cake! That made me feel really special.

Sometimes I wasn't sure if the workers at the cafe liked me becoming a regular or if I was viewed as a silly American needing a latte everyday. Mostly, I liked getting the latte as something to do - to get out of the apartment, read my Kindle, practice new Vietnamese words, have a great view from the 3rd floor of the cafe, etc.

The cake made me realize that they like me! ha. It sounds silly maybe, but it meant a lot to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment