Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Crabs.

Today I took a field trip from school to the big bookstore in the city - Fahasa. The store has a good number of books in English!
Fahasa is 4-stories high... and has a little bit of everything, yet nothing I was looking for.  :P

While waiting for the driver (yes... it was a true field trip and I was the only one on the bus!), I found a photo store to get more passport photos. The 10 that I got a couple weeks ago were all used for my work permit... seriously...10. I already know that I will need 4 more to get my residency card soon... so I got 20 today, ha.

The picture turned out hilarious - my hair was basically in a side ponytail... and of course, I was all sweaty and disheveled (which is a 24/7 state of being here). Anyway... this was in the store...

And I should be used to this by now but still get a kick out of people parking IN the stores...

After school Sarah and I met up at a cute cafe, Jaspas, for mojitos and Bananagrams! (Bish - thanks for the game!!) I love that I've found a game buddy... seriously, I feel as if I've known this girl for years.  :)

Mmmmm mojito.

We met up with two other teachers for dinner. ...Deep fried crab. We walked right past our dinner on the way into the restaurant...


The night concluded with a drive home in the rain. The traffic is CRAZY here... all of the time... but people are even crazier when it's raining!

I had a great realization the other day - I was telling Sarah that in Denver, a future goal of mine was to have a scooter... and live in an apartment with a balcony... and a garage. I told her how amazing it is to me that I have a scooter now! I never thought the goal would be accomplished so soon... AND I've learned to drive it!

Then... I realized that I also have a balcony!!!

And THEN... Sarah pointed out that I have a GARAGE too! It's funny it had taken me this long to realize all of this.

In recent emails to family and friends back in the States I've finally found the right words to fit how I've been feeling about this experience so far... I love where I am right now... in my life... and in the world. That's a pretty amazing feeling. --One that I've never felt before... not like this. I've always dreamed of and planned on traveling and wanting to see the world... I've always found an interest in immersing myself in different cultures... but taking this leap into life has been amazing - and it's still only the beginning!

1 comment:

  1. Stacia,

    I am so happy that you are feeling so good about this adventure. And, "an adventure" is really the name for it. It is so nice that you are taking the time to recognize and revel in this feeing. We are all so happy for you.

    If you had asked me a year ago where my daughter would be in her life at this time this year, I would not have dreamed of this for you, but I am so happy for and proud of you! I love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete