Monday, August 22, 2011

Ao Dai

Phuong picked up my ao dai ("ow y-eye") for me over the weekend! It fits perfectly.

She gave it to me this morning at school and some of the other teachers then wanted to see it... I was holding it up as a class came into the library... all of the kids loved it!! They were so excited that I have an ao dai... they want me to wear it haha. So cute.

A few of us ladies talked about having them made for each of us and maybe we'll all wear them to school some day (in a way, that doesn't sound too pleasant... it'd be hot -even more hot than usual- it's not that comfortable and has zero stretch, haha).

Here are some pictures (sorry the background scenery isn't that exciting... I should have gone to a beautiful garden or park... but instead, you get my kitchen).  :P









:) The details and simplistic beauty of this traditional outfit are gorgeous.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! The fabric is beautiful! I am wondering about the gold underneath part... Is it like a skirt or slacks? It does fit you very well too. You definitely found a wonderful tailor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom :) yes, they are pants underneath. Very high-waisted since the side slits are high. And the tailor for this is specifically an ao dai tailor - that is all she makes. The other tailor I'm going to for the work clothes is different (I love them both! ...so glad I've found each.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL - I love it, Stacia. So beautifully made. Wow - it seems so funny to hear you are having clothes tailor made when almost everything we buy here is "off the rack." Enjoy such a special treat.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Helen - it's such a treat! So nice to have them made to fit... incredible really. I hope to leave here with an amazing wardrobe! ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful Stac! Just catching up on your blog now, I was on vacation for a week :) Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete